More than 20,000 academic researchers are part of the vibrant academic infrastructure within 40 minutes drive in the Euregio Meuse-Rhine. There are more researchers at private institutes, here are a few of the possibilities:
- Germany´s largest, and officially “excellent” technical university RWTH with technical campuses in Aachen (affiliated institutes) and one of Europe’s largest research centres Forschungszentrum Jülich
- One of Europe’s most entrepreneurial Corda campuses in Hasselt.
- The Netherlands’ most international university in Maastricht with affiliated institutes. There are also fact cards on Dutch research institutions which provide background information.
- Of course, you find research institutes without borders. An example is AMIBM Aachen-Maastricht Institute for biobased materials.
Research Institutions in the EMR
The Locator Euregio Meuse-Rhine provides both summary and detailed overview of all research locations in the Euregio.
Euregional universities as employers
RWTH Aachen University
RWTH Aachen University draws on the strong research networks and intellectual curiosity of its staff to generate and transfer knowledge.
The youngest and most international university in the Netherlands. Featuring a dedicated knowledge center for international staff.
A university college that offers an unique opportunity to question the status quo and make room for innovation.
UHasselt is a young, dynamic centre of expertise for teaching, research and service provision in an innovative region.
Two centuries of renowned teaching and academic research, as well as an intellectual tradition which has put Liège on the map since the Middle Ages.
FH Aachen aims to be one of the strongest research universities of applied sciences in Germany. Its competencies lie in the future fields of energy, mobility and life sciences.
Zuyd University of Applied Sciences
Zuyd is located in the heart of Europe, focusing on three core activities: education for students, research for companies and institutes, and training courses and study programmes for professionals.
PXL University of Applied Sciences and Arts is a young dynamic and vibrant organisation; a centre of expertise for innovation, creativity and entrepreneurship.
Forschungszentrum Jülich is one of Europe's largest research centres and hosts students, post-docs, and employees from several universities and more than 50 countries. It is situated 30 km from Aachen and Heerlen (NL).
A word on research hubs outside of the direct border region. Various possibilities, but the knowledge about them does not always cross state borders.
- Eindhoven (NL) features “Brainport”, a large campus established after Philips ended production in its mother town. The surrounding region, just to the North of both Limburgs, was selected the world’s “smartest” (70 km from Heinsberg, DE or Hasselt BE).
- Europe’s capital Brussel and Belgium’s largest research university in Leuven (a good 100 km from Aachen)
- Cologne (DE) features many national research institutions, such as in aviation with “Deutsches Zentrum für Luft und Raumfahrt” (80 km from Heerlen, NL).
- Düsseldorf (DE) is the capital of Germany’s largest federal state and offers jobs in ministries and political institutions (100km from Genk, BE, 60 from Roermond, NL).
- Bonn (DE) as the former capital, Bonn still features about half of all German federal ministries. There are several job opportunities in English, with embassies or places like UN-campus (100km from Verviers, BE).